Ok -- so maybe I am a little obsessive complusive!


Its summer time and the gardens and farmers' markets are overflowing with produce. For some funny reason, I think I have to can it all ......... personally. All by myself. No one else. Just me. Seriously, there will be no tomato left behind!!!

This week -- I wanted blueberries. I called my favorite produce broker and talked to him about blueberries. When I discovered that I would have to put a 2nd and maybe, a 3rd mortgage on the house to purchase them........ I moved on to other fruit!

The conversation went sort of like this......... John, I need another 50 # of peaches. Ok, Cathy, but I'll make you a great deal if you buy some strawberries.

Ahhh........ a deal!! Fans! Canners! Action! I'm thrilled .... a deal! Now, at this point, I don't care how many strawberries there are. Its a deal on something I can eat! So after John twisted my arm (yea, like that was necessary!) I came home with the following................ 40 qts of strawberries, 50# of peaches, 25# of plums and a flat of red raspberries.

So what in the world am I doing on the computer??

I got all of the strawberries in the freezer for future jam production. The plums are sparkling in their jars. They are so pretty -- I did a "raw pack" on the plums. It takes less sugar in the syrup than a "hot pack" but you don't get as many in a jar and they float to the top much easier.

Today -- I will get all the peaches done and tomorrow, I will start the raspberry jam.

No --- I have not started the bomb shelter yet. But if you need a peach-fix in January, you will know where to go. I've wasted enough time.......... back to the kitchen!

Comments

Farm-Raised said…
Perhaps you need help taking some of this goodness off your hands?!?!

:-)

Leslie
~*Sarah*~ said…
I'm just jealous that you know a source to get 40 quarts of strawberries and 50#s of peaches.

...and that you know what to DO with them so you don't throw away 48 pounds of rotten peaches ;)

Popular Posts